Skip to main content

Backstage Banter: Interview with House of Ra'oof and Debonaire Models stylist, Jamal




iSocialite was backstage this weekend at the Charlie Mack Party for Peacefashion show, hosted by Lisa Raye and showcasing the artistic opinions of several local designers. Although these events are for a great cause and many supporters created an engaging atmosphere, the entire weekend was in complete disarray and left us many questions about how the PR & event mangers handled it all. Hopefully next year will be better. Through our own efforts, we got a chance to chat with a stylist for Debonaire Models by the name of Jamal. He gave us some details about their upcoming August Launch and as everything gets finalized iSocialite will keep you updated! Jamal described his style as 'classic sheek' and this was clear in not only the order of his model's clothing, but in his as well. A little camera shy, he didn't want to take a picture but I wish you guys would have been there, he was very dapper! I'd let him dress me any day! Along with him was Dez, of Dezign Your Identity, who was responsible for the dazzling eyewear in the show! I need a pair of those glasses, they were to die for!

Next we caught up with Taji Nahl, the creator of 'House of Ra'oof', and asked him a few questions! I almost forgot I was interviewing him, the conversation seemed to just flow. He spoke to us about his background as an antique dealer and how he uses that as an inspiration. His creativity is so visible in the abstract construction of his pieces and his vivid imagination pulls you into his show scenes. He stated that his greatest influence is Bauhaus in Africa. From my research the Bauhaus style is described as "...a craft guild combining architecture, sculpture, and painting into a single creative expression." I tugged on my memory and I could see all of that intertwined in the House of Ra'oof designs. Taji described himself as a renaissance man, stating, "I may do 8 different things but I do them all well." He stressed the importance of collaborations and showing respect to both up and coming and established artists. I'm a huge fan of teamwork and collaborations can be monumental, especially when the right talents are involved. All in all I enjoyed his scenes in the show as well as our conversation. I was surprised to learn his true age and it was also inspiring to hear him speak about how he went after his dreams. Great conversation with an even greater artist. Can't wait until the next show!

---Nola Darling


@houseofraoof
(shared space with Studio Christensen at 333 S. 20th Street)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bold, Brown, & Beautiful

"She's cute for a dark skinned girl."  "Stop acting light skinned." We've heard all these phrases. Some of us even say these phrases. But under the surface what do they mean to us? The other day I walked by a young girl with a cute puffball ponytail. She complimented me on my hair and I smiled, exchanging compliments with her. As I kept walking I started to wonder if she liked my hair because it was long and straight or if she really, at about 8 or 9, liked my teased mane. It may sound conceited but I really worry about our female youth. I automatically thought about the infamous Oprah baby doll episode. Then I thought about Chris Rock's 'Good Hair' documentary. One thought led to another and I wanted to hug every little brown girl I saw because the media pushes so much on them I just want to protect them. But then I thought about it and in this situation you sort of have to work from the top to the bottom because if we're the li

Dear Diary...

Dear Diary, So. Clearly I haven't posted anything in about two weeks. I blame this little fact on LIFE. Well, actually, I would LIKE to blame life but I think I will blame REALITY instead. Life goes on around me and mentally I sometimes shut down. Luckily for me, when it comes to work I move in autopilot so I don't have to be fully present mentally to get the job done physically.  Well. At least that's what I thought. These past two weeks that I haven't written I lost two people very close to me. One I grew with for almost a decade and one I've watched grow. One whom I share a bloodline with and another who is family but doesn't share a drop of blood with me. I pushed myself to keep going because I know life will keep going around me and I fear I'll get left behind. I force myself to bury my emotions because I don't want to appear broken, although if anything were to break me this would be it. I force myself to not only stand up straight and shake it off

Thanks.

At this point in life I have so much I could complain about. School. Work. Family. Love. You name it, I can complain about it. But I won't! Because the flip side of these possible complaints is that for every single one, I can find more than one thing to be thankful for. We ask for so much. I ask for more freelance gigs, I ask God to wake my Adam, I ask God to send me someone to pay my tuition, but I realized I don't need more things to thank him for I need to be more thankful. When I figured this out everything around me began to make more sense. So. Today I wasn't in the best of moods and I felt like my patience was being tried but instead of lashing out I looked up because there's so much to be thankful for I won't waste a second pondering what ifs and why nots, instead I'll be thankful for what I do have, because I know there's more where that came from. Ten Things I'm Thankful For 1. God. The power of prayer. The FAITH I have in his ac