Skip to main content

REVIEW: Kimmel Center Presents Alvin Ailey's American Dance Theatre



This Wednesday I had the privilege of attending the Philadelphia premiere ofKimmel Center presents: Alvin Ailey's American Dance Theatre  at the Merriam Theater. If you know anything about dance or the arts then you are well aware of the history of Alvin Ailey's Dance Theater, founded by the late great choreographer in 1958. Led by new artistic director Robert Battle, the troupe, touring with Battle for the first time, came close to selling out all three nights. Choreographer Robert Battle succeeded Judith Jamison as Artistic Director of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater after her departure on July 1, 2011. In announcing her selection, Ms. Jamison said that “choosing Robert Battle is the giant leap I want to take to ensure that this company stays vibrant in the future.” The Wednesday program featured acts from PAUL TAYLOR: Arden Court, ROBERT BATTLE: Takademe,Philadelphia's own, RENNIE HARRIS: Home and ALVIN AILEY:Revelations .     

From beginning to end I was in AWE. The movements were fluid, the score was well selected, the message was clear and the energy was breathtaking. Even through his passing Ailey's original mission and vision were as vivid as the props the dancers flawlessly flaunted across the stage. The costumes were well designed and combined with all other elements of the performance this show more than lived up to my expectations. These pieces were meshed together but the show flowed smoothly. Such a great collection of major works.
    
 I don't want to give too much away because as an art lover-theater junkie-dance disciple I feel no review can do this experience justice; you must see it for yourself. I will tell you my favorite act was Revelations. And I'm not just saying this because it is one of Ailey's most popular works. A cultural classic whose score combined gospel and blues, I felt the story Ailey tried to depict of life as an African American in the South. Presented as the closing curtain, after Revelations the dancers received a standing ovation and I think I saw a tear or two from my guest. To hear about these acts and to actually see them live are two completely different experiences.

     
The troupe is on tour around the US and if you missed them this week you have to catch them when you can. Tonight was your last night to catch them in Philadelphia unfortunately the show is sold out. But don't pout, check out the website www.AlvinAiley.org for upcoming dates in surrounding cities.



-Nola Darling


PHOTO CREDIT: ALVIN AILEY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bold, Brown, & Beautiful

"She's cute for a dark skinned girl."  "Stop acting light skinned." We've heard all these phrases. Some of us even say these phrases. But under the surface what do they mean to us? The other day I walked by a young girl with a cute puffball ponytail. She complimented me on my hair and I smiled, exchanging compliments with her. As I kept walking I started to wonder if she liked my hair because it was long and straight or if she really, at about 8 or 9, liked my teased mane. It may sound conceited but I really worry about our female youth. I automatically thought about the infamous Oprah baby doll episode. Then I thought about Chris Rock's 'Good Hair' documentary. One thought led to another and I wanted to hug every little brown girl I saw because the media pushes so much on them I just want to protect them. But then I thought about it and in this situation you sort of have to work from the top to the bottom because if we're the li

numb. or not.

TheFreeDictionary.com defines 'numb' as: " emotionally unresponsive ."  I thought I was numb but I'm actually the complete opposite of that. I've felt every emotion imaginable in the past 24 hours. Denial, frustration, anger, confusion, pain. I've laughed, cried, screamed. I took a walk. I took a nap. I ignored some calls. I answered some texts. I think I'm still in some weird, warped form of denial. The loss of a loved one is insane. It's motions you go through and emotions you're absorbed in. And it never gets easier. In fact, I feel like as you get older and as more people begin to return home way too soon it's like, "oh no, not another funeral!" When I was younger I wasn't where I am religiously or mentally. I didn't fully understand the power of having your whole life ahead of you and making every moment count. I surely didn't understand that you can't question His timing. You rely on it daily so to que

Dear Diary...

Dear Diary, So. Clearly I haven't posted anything in about two weeks. I blame this little fact on LIFE. Well, actually, I would LIKE to blame life but I think I will blame REALITY instead. Life goes on around me and mentally I sometimes shut down. Luckily for me, when it comes to work I move in autopilot so I don't have to be fully present mentally to get the job done physically.  Well. At least that's what I thought. These past two weeks that I haven't written I lost two people very close to me. One I grew with for almost a decade and one I've watched grow. One whom I share a bloodline with and another who is family but doesn't share a drop of blood with me. I pushed myself to keep going because I know life will keep going around me and I fear I'll get left behind. I force myself to bury my emotions because I don't want to appear broken, although if anything were to break me this would be it. I force myself to not only stand up straight and shake it off